Thursday, January 17, 2013

day 11: sh!t day

I love P!nk's latest album, The Truth About Love. I cannot get enough of it. And to quote one of my favorite songs, "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)," let me just say:
I've had a sh!t day.
I'm not going to go into detail and relive the frustrations of work all over again. I am racing against a deadline and the software I am using is not the user-friendliest! I didn't even have time to shower today.

I work from home on Thursdays, which means that the best thing about my day was snuggling with the kids this morning. That, and I get to make myself and them a hot breakfast. This morning the boy-child requested omelets. I can do that!

I fried up six slices of my U.S. Wellness Meats sugar-free bacon. (You will never miss the sugar. Just trust me on this. Not sure why it's used.) This bacon cooks up quickly and goes from raw to super-crisp in nothing flat. And it renders lots of yummy fat for more cooking. I poured some of the fat off and then sautéed a diced red bell pepper. The kids each wanted a three-egg omelet. (It's nice to have chickens.) The boy-child ordered a bacon, red bell pepper, provolone and avocado omelet. The girl-child wanted everything but the veggies.

Cooking the omelet
I had everything but the cheese. Y.U.M!

day 11: breakfast
Three-Egg Omelet with Sugar-Free Bacon, Sauteed Red Pepper and Mushrooms


I HAD A GOOD LUNCH! Praise be!

You know how I posted a few days ago that I never make the same recipe twice? Well, I am a big, fat liar. I have another recipe that has become a "Do again," as my kids would say: Barefoot Contessa's Caesar Roasted Swordfish, except I use salmon because my freezer overfloweth. This is so good. The last two times I have made this, I served it on Romaine that I had tossed with the extra dressing I made, which is excellent, by the way. (I made Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook's Caesar dressing. Meh. Did I make that on "meh" day?) It is now my go-to Caesar salad dressing. Who knew the Barefoot Contessa was Paleo? I bet she doesn't even know.

Anyway, I had a lot of salmon leftover, so I put it in the freezer, because we have a tendency to get "salmoned out." That's an Enginerd term. I pulled that from the freezer last night and voila! Lunch.

day 11: lunch
Baby Spinach Salad with Roasted Caesar Salmon and avocado with Balsamic Vinegar and EVOO dressing

The girl-child picked mussels for dinner this week. The boy-child chose venison.

Boy-child went on his first hunting expedition this last October. Whether you are pro-hunting or not, you cannot deny that shooting your own deer guarantees free-range, grass-fed meat. And it turns out we all like venison. Who knew?

Mind you, I marinate the hell out of if, but it is delicious. I pulled a couple of tenderloin out of the freezer, and had him mix up a marinade. I rarely use a "recipe" for marinade. Oil. Acid. Herbs. Garlic. Sweet. This is what we came up with this time:

Venison Marinade I

3/4 cup EVOO
1/4 cup coconut aminos
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs Italian seasoning
1/2 Tbs onion powder
1/2 Tbs garlic powder
sea salt
black pepper
What I Did:
Pour everything into a gallon-sized Ziploc bag.
Mix. Add meat. Refrigerate.

We marinated two tenderloin for two days. This afternoon, I baked up a butternut squash and roasted some garlic for The Clothes Make the Girl's "Velvety Butternut Squash," vacuum-sealed the tenderloin and plopped them into my Sous Vide Supreme Demi at 120° for a couple of hours, until I was ready to deal with it.

When I was ready to deal with dinner, I made the squash and put that into the oven. I heated some bacon fat to smoking and seared the tenderloin. As the meat was resting, I used the same pan to fry up the leftover purple "superkraut" from last week's sausage-kraut dinner.

day 11: dinner
Venison Tenderloin with Purple Kraut and Velvety Butternut Squash



Breakfast: Three-egg omelet with bacon, red bell pepper and avocado

Lunch: Spinach Caesar with Barefoot Contessa's Caesar Roasted Salmon (leftover)

Dinner: Venison tenderloin with Purple Sauerkraut and Velvety Butternut Squash

Today was one of those days where if I had not been following the Whole30 I would have had a bottle of wine. For dinner. By myself. Along with a tub of chocolate chip cookie dough.

Hopefully tomorrow will be less stressful.





No comments:

Post a Comment