Tuesday, January 8, 2013

day 2: the steps required to make DINNER



First, the Ropa Vieja was a huge hit last night. The house smelled amazing when I walked in the door, and the “rice” came together quickly. My kids, who complain every single time about cauliflower “rice,” declared that the rice was their favorite part. Oh, the magic of bacon.
day 1: dinner
Ropa Vieja with Cuban-Style "Rice"

In fact, while I was preparing last night’s dinner, I was able to prep this evening’s slow-cooker dinner of Chili Cilantro Lime Crock Pot Chicken. (Reviews to follow tomorrow.) I do not typically use a slow-cooker this often, but this week I plan to use it three times. The problem I sometimes encounter with slow cooking is that not everything needs to cook for 12 hours. This chicken recipe recommends six, which is a problem since I leave the house at 6:30 a.m. and do not return for another 11+ hours.

The Enginerd (read: “husband”) is sick and is fortunately working from home today. I have asked him to help with dinner this evening by turning on the slow cooker.

Some background: I am the primary, nay, sole cook in the family. The Enginerd will make breakfast for the kids and help with their lunches, but when it comes to dinner, as with children, it is usually a lot more trouble than it’s worth for him to “help.” No matter how simple I believe the task or the recipe to be, I am guaranteed to receive at least one phone call and/or text message. Usually it is more.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyway, I thought I would share with you the detail I provided him in order to get the chicken from the fridge and into the slow cooker and cook for six hours. I sent the following to him in a Microsoft Outlook Meeting Request:
  1. Get chicken from the fridge.
    The chicken is in two bags. 
  2. Take the chicken out of the Ziploc bag.
    You no longer need this bag. 
  3. Leave the chicken in the other bag.
    This is a bag specifically designed for the slow cooker and the chicken will cook in this. 
  4. Give the chicken a little squeeze and rub to make sure the marinade is well distributed. 
  5. Place the chicken in the bag—with the top of the bag up—in the slow cooker. 
  6. Put the lid on the slow cooker. 
  7. Turn the slow cooker on and set the time for six (6) hours on LOW. 
  8. Press Start. 
I’ll let you know if I get a phone call.





No comments:

Post a Comment