Friday, January 11, 2013

day 5: baby stuff

I realize now that I will be unable to post every day. I want to, because I’m fairly certain all two of you are just waiting with baited breath for my next post, but it ain’t gonna happen. It’s time-consuming. I work full-time in an office and then I come home to my second job.

Why is this post called “baby stuff?” Because we are gonna talk sleep and poop. I won’t talk a lot about either of them, but at least want to acknowledge the changes in both…for the better! I am feelin’ pretty good, I must say. I have been sleeping beautifully—like a baby! I remember this from last time. By the end of my 30 days, I was referring to my sleep as “delicious.” Last night was the true test: I watched a stressful Seahawks playoff game (about which I am still pissed), then watched Argo. Yikes! I did not need to do any cardio after both of those events. Sunday nights are usually my worst. I cannot turn my brain off, and often just take half an Ambien to ensure sleep. I did not take an Ambien, and slept so well! Even when I got up to pee at 4:30 a.m., I was able to go right back to sleep.

My energy is good. Typically on a weekend I can sleep a solid 12 hours or more! This was my weekend: We got up at 6:00 a.m. Saturday, after seven hours of sleep, to ski, skied all day, came home and made dinner (instead of ordering take-out), and then stayed up watching two episodes of Sons of Anarchy and went to bed at 11:00 p.m. Guess what time I woke up. G’head. Guess.

I woke up naturally, well-rested before 8:30 a.m. On a Sunday. Unheard of.

Let’s talk shit. I have chronic issues in this department. Most people can't poop. I can't stop. And when I have to go, I HAVE TO GO!

I have had gut issues since high school, maybe earlier, but I distinctly remember issues starting in high school...and they haven't stopped. I had to stop running because of these issues. Sometimes walking for a long distance is too much. I am convinced that my gut’s inability to properly process is the reason I have thin hair, peeling nails and got kidney stones last April. Anyway…pooping is not my favorite thing.

Without going into too much detail, let’s just say that things in that department are doing much better.

Now, it was brought to my attention today that not everyone’s gut is happy about these dietary changes. I am not a nutritionist or a doctor, but I have been studying this way of eating for a long time. Sometimes when a diet takes a complete 180° turn, your gut protests. All I can say is, “Stick with it!” I would be surprised if these issues do not remedy themselves in the next week or so.

And this is why I do it: good sleep, good energy, good poop.

Changing the subject: It has been spectacular here in Seattle. The weather is super cold, but super clear, which is energizing in its own way.

First, I need to clarify some of this day. My lunch was awful. So bad. My fun co-workers and I went out to lunch to play Cards Against Humanity. If you are unfamiliar with this game, it is like Apples to Apples, but for crass adults. It is not a game for the mild or sensitive. We played this game at a local dive, Marco Polo. Surely they would have a salad I could eat. Not so much. Seriously. I could not believe it. So, I ordered the Wild Salmon Burger sans tartar sauce and bun, sub salad for the fries. {sigh} The salad came with croutons and shredded cheese, which I painstakingly picked off. I asked for balsamic vinegar and olive oil. They brought me balsamic vinaigrette, which I am pretty sure was loaded with sugar. I had maybe two teaspoons. The “burger” was previously frozen and nasty. It was completely unsatisfying, so I went back to the office and ate an entire avocado. Only then did I feel good.

Breakfast: Wild Planet Foods Wild Albacore Tuna, homemade mayo, sweet potato and ghee

Lunch: Salmon burger and salad, one avocado

Dinner: Everyday Paleo’s Italian Rib Eye with Sun Dried Tomato Topping and Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook Zucchini Salad

Snack: Coconut Aminos Roasted Almonds

day 5: dinner
Italian Rib Eye with Sun-Dried Tomato Topping



I made the almond “recipe” up.

Coconut Amino Roasted Almonds

a bunch of raw almonds (at least two cups)
1 Tbs EVOO
1 Tbs Coconut Aminos
sea salt
What I did:
Preheat oven to 350°.
Spread the almonds out on the baking sheet.
Sprinkle with olive oil and coconut aminos. Use your hands (best tools invented) to mix/toss everything together until all of the almonds are coated.
Sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake for 15 minutes. 
Try not to eat every last one of them in one sitting.



No comments:

Post a Comment